Age Appropriate Chores for Kids
Who doesn’t want help with cleaning, right? With our list of age appropriate chores for kids, you can teach your kids to clean the home with you.
It’s important to keep in mind that this is a general guideline for which chores to assign but only you know which chores your individual child can do. It’s important to keep in mind your child’s age, ability, and maturity when you give them chores around the house.
Remember to always supervise young children when they are doing chores. Show them the correct way to do each chore and make sure they aren’t doing anything that will harm them or the house.
Toddler Chores (Ages 2-3)
Even the littlest children can help at home and most even LOVE helping. Make your toddler feel important and involved by giving them some simple chores like the ones listed below.
- Pick up and put away toys
- Unload plastic items from the dishwasher
- Dust with a feather duster or microfiber rag
- Put dirty clothes in the hamper
- Help move clothes from the washer to the dryer
- Put clothes away in drawers or closet
- Make bed by putting blanket and pillows on the bed
- Wipe cabinets
Preschool Chores (Ages 4-5)
- Any toddler chores listed above
- Load the dishwasher
- Vacuum couch, chairs, or cushions in living room
- Take out recycling items
- Help set the table
- Wash dishes (with supervision)
- Clean windows
- Match socks
- Fold dish towels
- Pick weeds
Early Elementary (Ages 6-8)
You can use any of the toddler and preschool chores mentioned above plus the ideas listed below.
- Help with meals: wash produce, get out ingredients, or simple cutting with butter knife
- Clean bathroom sinks, counters, toilets
- Hang laundry on hangers
- Take out garbage
- Rake leaves
- Clean microwave
Elementary (Ages 9-11)
At this age, you might receive some resistance from tweens if you haven’t had them participate in chores until this age. They may have extra curricular activities or homework that limits their weekly chores. You can still give them several chores over the weekend.
- Any of the chores listed for previous ages
- Make meals for the family
- Take trash or recycling cans to the curb
- Wash/dry clothes
- Mop floors
- Vacuum cars
Middle School (Ages 12-14)
This can be a particularly busy or moody age but its important to still give them some responsibilities at home.
- Clean tub/shower
- Make meals and help plan them
- Mow the grass
- Wash cars
- Help supervise younger children when they do their chores
High School (Ages 15-18)
By high school, children should be capable in all areas of home management so assign them any of the chores. Keep giving them regular chores to help them learn responsibility and time management.
Which age appropriate chores for kids are the most helpful for you? Tell us in the comments!